Traveling over the holidays is a well-documented nightmare. Bad weather and over-booked flights increase the chances that on the way to your final destination, you may wind up getting stuck.
We ranked 13 of the country’s busiest airports by December snowfall, departure delays, and other factors that can determine when, and if, your flight will make it out of the gate.
- Airports: Airport selection based on route coverage and volume of passenger traffic.
- Total passenger traffic: For 2014 sourced from Airports Council International. Covers boarding and disembarking.
- On-time departures: From time period of October 2014-September 2015. Calculated by Bureau of Transportation Statistics.
- Average days of snow in December: Sourced from Current Results, based on weather data from 1981 to 2010 as recorded by NOAA National Climatic Data Center.
- Likelihood of missing connection: Based on three years of flight data and calculated by Smart Asset.
- Distance to closest major airport: According to Bureau of Transportation Statistics and calculated as shortest distance between each point.
- Average delay: Departure delay in minutes for time period of October 2014-September 2015. Calculated by Bureau of Transportation Statistics.
- Cancelled flights: As percentage of total flights for time period of October 2014-September 2015. Calculated by Bureau of Transportation Statistics.